Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Frugal Corned Beef & Cabbage


I know this isn't a stamped card, but I thought you would enjoy a good, quick, simple, and inexpensive recipe for today.

Since it's St. Patricks Day.. and I LOVE Corned Beef and Cabbage, I'm sharing a recipe I sort of invented one night when I didn't have a lot of things in the frig to fix. I try to eat whatever we have on hand without having to go out and buy more groceries. So here's my rendition of a Frugal Corned Beef and Cabbage meal. Gather the following items:

1 - 2 Cans of canned corned beef (the kind you find on the grocery shelves from Argentina I think.. I have yet to find any canned in the USA)

1-2 lbs of small potatoes

1 head of green cabbage

1 large (3-5 qt cooking pot) I have a nice 3 ply stainless pot that most everything from soup to popcorn gets cooked in

Butter & Olive Oil

Beef broth (if you have any, subsitute water)

Pre-heat the pot while cleaning the potatoes. Wash and cut the small potatos in half. Put them in a little EVOO and butter in the bottom of the pot. Let them brown about 10 min. Meanwhile, slice up the cabbage slaw style.. so it's all shredded, not in a big wedge like normal CB & Cabbage dinners. Open the can(s) of corned beef and slice in 1/2" thick slices. Layer the corned beef in on top of the potatoes, then add the cabbage on top. Add some salt (not very much since the CB is salty) and some fresh ground pepper. Add about 2 cups of water or beef broth (can use some beef concentrate boullion or flavoring). Let it all cook approx 20 min. The cabbage will be done and all the flavors will meld together.

My daughter was skeptical when I first told her what I was "putting together" in the pot, but when she tasted it.. (2 bowls later), she said it was really, really good and you got some corned beef in every bite!! So try it and enjoy!!

No comments: